I recently picked up a new Kenwood D710G to be used for 2 meter packet radio. I decided to set up a BPQ node as the software is very powerful and offers a lot of features.
In order to get the D710G working with BPQ, you must first enable KISS mode in the built-in TNC. To do so, you’ll. need to first connect to it. You’ll need the Minicom software to do so. Follow these steps:
sudo apt install minicom
sudo minicom -s
- Go to Serial port setup and press enter
- Press A, and type your radio’s serial port location. It is most likely /dev/ttyUSB0
- Press enter, and press E
- Select your radio’s baud rate
- Pres enter
- Press escape
- Go to Exit from Minicom, and press enter
- Press enter if you don’t see cmd:
- Press CTRL-A and then Z and then X to exit minicom
BPQ should now be able to communicate with your radio’s TNC.